Thursday, September 9, 2010

Arrival and first day of walking

Good morning or evening everyone!

We arrived safely yesterday morning in Paris and took a train in the afternoon down to St. Jean Pied de Port, where we began our journey today.  The train was pretty cool because it was a French ¨"bullet train" that can make it up to about 300km/hr.  We stayed at a hostel in St. Jean yesterday and that was pretty nice.  Apparently, when I have a head cold--which I am trying to get over now--my body runs on diesel when I sleep.  I only say that because after a few minutes of a very enjoyable sleep--the first about 30 hours previous--I was awoken by my friend Jason saying that the snoring had been pretty bad :-) oops.

We started our first stage from St. Jean to Roncevalles this morning at about a little after 7 and began the hike.  The first little bit wasn´t too bad and I was feeling pretty good.  We got about a quarter of the way and then the rain came...and came...and came.  There were a couple of nice views, but for the most part we were walking in the clouds.  We began our journey at about 550feet and ended up fifteen miles later at an elevation of 4550ft.  Needless to say we were up there with the rain. It was nice at times, but when waterproof barriers became non-waterproof it became pretty tough.  Even with my pack-cover it my sleeping bag somehow got wet, so I am looking forward to sleeping tonight. . .

I am writing this from Roncevalles at the Hostel there where I will be sleeping in the same room with about 120 pilgrims.  I washed my clothes already and am hoping they dry by tomorrow morning.  I am still looking forward to the rest of the Camino, but I am praying that the weather will be a little better.  You all are still in my prayers.  Hope all is well back home.

Love,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment