Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Los Arcos to Logroño

Another beautiful day in the Spanish countryside.  The weather continues to be in our favor and we haven´t had any rain since the first day.  We are still in a pretty mountainous area, so, if what I have heard is correct, I don´t expect much rain until we get to the plains of Spain, since that is where it mainly falls. . .I really do crack myself up.  Please folks, I´m hear til next month. Try to Chorizo. And don´t tip your waiters because they don´t do that here.

Anywho, we went through a small town called Viana today and it today just happened to be their big feast day.  Everyone was out on the town, particularly on this one street where we saw a bunch of people dressed in white with red hankerchiefs.  That´s when I first started getting suspicious.  The only other time I remember seeing such a thing was on TV or in pictures of the running of the bulls.  Well, guess what we got to see?! That´s right, bulls chasing people, and unfortunately sending one person to the hospital, in the streets of Spain.  I have some great video and will try to put it on here later.  I didn´t see what happened exactly to the person who got attacked, but it looked pretty vicious, just like the "world´s biggest idiots" videos have shown.

We hung out there for a while, had lunch, met some other Americans, and then headed out to Logroño.  It was a good day for prayer.  Jason and I walked separately and took to day for ourselves for clearer minds for prayer.  We got to Logroño a couple hours ago and have settled down at an "Albergue Parroquial" or a Parish Hostel.  This is run by one of the churches in Logroño and only asks for a donation when you leave, nothing too expensive.  We are on mats on the floor rather than in bunks like the past few nights, but it is pretty nice.  Will and Inguun, from the previous post, are staying there, so it is nice to see some familiar faces.  Only one bathroom though for 40 people or so, so, that may prove as troublesome in the morning.  Other than that, I look forward to staying there.  It is right next to the church and mass is going to be held there tonight followed by dinner and a pilgrim´s blessing.  I am getting better at washing my clothes by hand, but I am finding that some of the clothes that I purchased that were advertised as "quick dry", end up tied to my bag the next day for further drying.  But, after a couple of day of roughing it, I´m not proud, so, whatever :-)

thanks for tuning in for another update.  love and prayers for all of you.

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul!
    It's great to hear about your adventures. Our Diocese is doing 12 miles on the camino as part of our pilgrimage for World Youth Day :). I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete